These Chicken Fajitas are a great quick, easy, and healthy dinner that the whole family will love. Loaded with perfectly seasoned chicken and veggies, this is a meal you’ll be making every night!
These chicken fajitas one of my favorite dinners! They take just 20 minutes of hands-on time, so not only are they absolutely delicious but they’re perfect for those busy weekday nights!
- Chicken Breast – boneless and skinless are my go-to lean protein of choice! Chicken thighs may be used, if preferred.
- Orange Juice, Lime Juice, and Lemon Juice, and Soy Sauce – the base for the marinade. Freshly squeezed juices add a great acidity while the soy sauce provides a rich, salty, “umami” flavor.
- Paprika, Cumin, Chili Powder, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt, and Pepper – a homemade fajita seasoning mix that adds so much flavor.
- Olive Oil – used for cooking both the chicken and the veggies.
- Red, Green, and Yellow Bell Peppers and Red Onion – you can’t have fajitas without this classic fajita veggie blend. I like to use all three peppers for color.
- Tortillas, Sour Cream, Shredded Lettuce, Guacamole, Feta, and Cilantro – optional, for serving. Have fun! Use YOUR favorite fajita toppings.
How to make
This recipe really couldn’t get any easier! Just 30 minutes and you’re set for a flavor packed and healthy dinner!
- Whisk together orange, lime, and lemon juice, soy sauce, and seasonings in a medium-sized bowl.
- Place your chicken into a ziplock baggie or bowl then pour the marinade into the bag with the chicken. Let that marinate for up to 8 hours.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet then add in peppers, onion, salt, and pepper. Cook until the veggies are tender then remove and set aside.
- Heat more olive oil in the same skillet the add in chicken and cook until it’s reached an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Add peppers and onion back in then serve and enjoy!
How to season chicken
For this chicken fajita recipe, we’re seasoning our chicken with a homemade marinade with freshly squeezed citrus juices and soy sauce and a fajita spice blend using paprika, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
If preferred, you can use a store-bought fajita seasoning blend but I definitely recommend making your own, because it’s super easy to make and so yummy!
How to cut chicken and veggies for fajitas
The classic way to cut veggies and chicken for fajitas is into strips. Cut both the veggies and chicken into 1/2-3/4 inch thick strips to ensure even cooking!
Are chicken fajitas healthy?
Fajitas are packed with lean protein and veggies so they’re absolutely healthy, and not to mention, tasty! Add toppings like pico de gallo and guacamole to pack in even more nutrients.
One serving of the chicken fajita fillings contains about 300 calories, 17 grams of fat, 11 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fiber, and 26 grams of protein!
- Use other veggies. Add mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, corn, broccoli, or all of the above!
- Spice it up. Mix in some sliced jalapeño peppers or add red pepper flakes.
- Try a different meat. Try steak or shrimp instead.
- Make it vegetarian. Leave out the meat and bulk up the veggies.
- Make it gluten-free. Sub the soy sauce for a gluten-free variety and use gluten-free tortillas.
What to serve with chicken fajitas
Top your fajitas with sour cream, shredded lettuce, guacamole, feta cheese, pico de gallo, and cilantro. I also like to serve the fajitas up with a couple of yummy side dishes!
- Chips and Salsa
- Mexican Rice
- Black Beans
- Mexican Street Corn Spoon Bread
How to store
Store leftover fajita filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To reheat, let it thaw in the fridge (if frozen) then microwave or heat on stovetop until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165ºF.
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or gluten free alternative
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt more to less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- Tortillas, sour cream, shredded lettuce, guacamole, feta, cilantro, etc. optional for serving
- Place sliced chicken into a gallon sized ziplock baggie and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, paprika, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high/high heat.
- Once hot, add in bell peppers and onion.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the peppers and onion until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Stir regularly with tongs to prevent burning.
- Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and dump in the contents of the ziplock baggie.
- Cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. Stir regularly with tongs to prevent burning.
- Add the peppers/onion back in, taste and re-season, if necessary, and serve with all your favorite fajita fixings!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.