We’re making Chewy Ginger Cookies for day TWO of Christmas Cookie and Candy week. These cookies are chewy, a little crunchy, totally fluffy, perfectly spiced, and sweetened with maple syrup!
Now. I gotta say. I’m not normally a ginger cookie kinda lady, but holy moly these Chewy Ginger Cookies are gooooood. Typically, I’m a peanut butter, chocolatey, caramel-y, marshmallow-y, minty kind of cookie lover, but I gotta say, these Chewy Ginger Cookies are giving all those cookies a run for their money.
Perfectly spiced, ultra chewy, a little crunchy, and covered in sugar.
What more do you need in a holiday cookie?! 🙂
Have you guys started your holiday baking yet? Because of this here blog, I’ve already made Mint Chocolate Cookies (twice), Easy Chocolate Fudge (twice), Christmas Crack (twice), these Chewy Ginger Cookies (twice), PLUS Holiday Microwave Fudge – 4 Ways, which is coming to the blog tomorrow (and you guessed it – I’ve made that twice, too 😉 ).
The SMTY fridge is completely packed with holiday treats and luckily we have some really awesome neighbors who generously took quite a few treats off our hands for us. 😉 Thanks guys!
These Chewy Ginger Cookies in particular were a hit all around!
If you’ve never made ginger cookies before, the basic ingredients are butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, flour, baking soda, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, salt, and molasses.
But wait! Who actually EVER has molasses on hand?
Not me. That’s for sure.
So instead of using molasses like most Chewy Ginger Cookies use, I used maple syrup!
And guess what? It. Was. Awesome.
The maple syrup still gives you a really nice depth of flavor and coziness and when combined with the ginger, cinnamon, and cloves – it just makes these cookies truly cozy and delicious. 🙂
Although I still LOVE my classic peanut butter-y, chocolatey, caramel-y, marshmallow-y, minty cookies, these Chewy Ginger Cookies were a nice change of pace and will definitely be a part of next year’s cookie baking extravaganza!
I recommend using this cookie scoop for this recipe!
Chewy Ginger Cookies
Equipment for this recipe
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar + more for rolling
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Whisk together wet ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Stir together dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Cover with saran wrap and chill 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Roll the dough into balls using a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop, then roll each ball in the extra granulated sugar.
- Place cookie dough balls on prepared baking sheet and place back in fridge for an additional 30 minutes to an hour.*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 12-16 minutes, or until the tops are golden.**
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.