Chardonnay Caramel Cake: a ridiculously easy, flavorful, moist vanilla cake topped with lightly sweetened fluffy whipped cream, and an ultra rich, buttery caramel sauce.
Today’s decadent and amazing, yet totally easy recipe is sponsored by our friends at Barefoot Wine & Bubbly. Their Chardonnay takes vanilla cake and caramel to a whole new level.
Chardonnay Caramel Cake <– this is what dreams are made of. Picture this with me (or heck just watch the video below 👇 for full on food heaven visuals): a light, fluffy, yet totally moist vanilla cake lightly flavored with your fave summer wine: Chardonnay – duh, topped with the fluffiest of fluffy whipped cream, a few peaches, blueberries, and of course, a drizzle of warm, rich Chardonnay caramel sauce. . .
Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my face.
This cake. . .
Is everything. . .
And the perfect way to celebrate the last bit of summer we have left, because let’s be real, it’s now late August, which means September is right around the corner, which means fall is almost here, which means football
games will be played snacks will be made and cozy sweaters will be worn. It’s just too much! 🙈 😉
So PLEASE let’s all enjoy our last little bit of summer and eat all the Chardonnay Caramel Cake.
There are a couple things about this cake that I really want to point out:
#1 It LOOKS fancy, but I swear to you, this is one of the easiest cakes I’ve ever made.
#2 It IS totally easy, but I swear to you, this is one of the tastiest cakes I’ve ever made.
Fancy? Easy? Tasty?
I think this Chardonnay Caramel Cake looks fancy, because it’s a “naked cake” (unfrosted), and naked cakes are totally in right now AND it’s full of Barefoot Chardonnay. . . so that’s like a double #win.
But like I said, it’s still completely easy and here’s why. . .
There are only THREE parts to today’s recipe:
#1: The Chardonnay Cake
#2: The Chardonnay Caramel Sauce
#3: The Whipped Cream + Toppings
The cake is only made of four ingredients: white cake mix, butter, eggs, and Chardonnay.
Now. Before you run away, because I’m using white cake mix, let me tell you right now, this is not just any boxed cake recipe. It’s a completely delicious, fluffy, moist boxed cake that’s been totally amped up with butter (for flavor and texture), extra eggs (for richness), and Chardonnay (for flavor and fluffiness).
I’m not kidding you, the result was even better than I could have ever imagined. It’s rich, it’s tender, and it’s SO full of flavor.
While the cakes bake and cool, the Chardonnay Caramel Sauce gets going.
Now the caramel sauce only has five ingredients: brown sugar, butter, salt, vanilla, and of course, Chardonnay.
Pretty much, you’re going to dump all the ingredients into a saucepan, let it cook for a few minutes, pour it into a cute little mason jar, and then let it cool and thicken before drizzling it alllllll over the cake.
Easy and delicious enough, yes? 🙂
The last part of the cake is the whipped cream and the toppings.
Now, here’s the deal, if you want to keep this suuuuuuper simple, feel free to use store bought whipped cream. Today, I chose to make my own. It’s an extra step, but it’s a really quick and easy extra step:
Combine heavy whipping cream + powdered sugar into your stand mixer and beat until fluffy.
The toppings are up to you. Since we’re celebrating the end of summer, today, I went with fresh peaches, blueberries, and sliced almonds, BUT if you wanted to welcome in fall, this Chardonnay Caramel Cake would be fantastic served with warm, sauteed cinnamon apples <– OMG.
The Barefoot Chardonnay is described as “dripping with honeyed peach and Fuji apple…with a sweet vanilla aroma”, so whatever you choose – peaches or apples – it’ll be insanely delicious.
The result is a flavorful, moist vanilla cake topped with lightly sweetened fluffy whipped cream, and an ultra rich, buttery caramel sauce.
Make this cake, impress your friends, and never tell anyone how easy it actually is.
Are you sad to see summer go? Or are you looking forward to fall? Show Me the Yummy!
Chardonnay Caramel Cake Recipe
- 1 (15.25 oz) box white cake mix*
- 1 cup Barefoot Chardonnay
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- Sparkling sugar optional
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Barefoot Chardonnay
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar same as 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream cold
- Sliced peaches
- Sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 2 (9 in) round non stick cake pans with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk until combined.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Optional - top with sparkling sugar (gives a nice crunchy texture).
- Bake for 18-24 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Place all ingredients into a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat.
- Cook for 4-8 minutes, stirring gently with a spoon. The mixture will bubble and simmer.
- The mixture is ready when it's still runny, but will start to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into a microwave safe jar and finish cooling at room temperature.
- Serve or store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Reheat in microwave after refrigeration.
- Place ingredients into the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Lay the first layer of the cake on a cake stand (or plate).
- Top with half the whipped cream.
- Place on the second layer of the cake.
- Top with the rest of the whipped cream.
- Top with sliced peaches, blueberries, sliced almonds and drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Thanks again to Barefoot Wine & Bubbly for sponsoring today’s post. Wine + cake + caramel? You just can’t beat it!