This is the BEST Vegan Lasagna! It’s surprisingly simple, packed with a cashew “ricotta”, and is just as cozy, hearty, and delicious as the classic.
A favorite comfort food is now made without animal byproducts!
- Vegetables – to keep things easy, we used 1 (10.8 oz) bag frozen Birds Eye Steamfresh Broccoli, Cauliflower, & Carrots. Cook the veggies according to package directions, give them a chop, then season with the below spices. If you’d like to mix it up, any cooked vegetables should work in this recipe.
- Spices: Garlic Powder, Dried Basil, Italian Seasoning, Salt, and Pepper – provides the lasagna with the classic sweet and earthy Italian flavors. Want something fresh? Try garnishing the cooked lasagna with fresh basil leaves.
- Marinara Sauce – use your favorite variety! We kept things easy and used 1 (32 oz) jar marinara sauce, but feel free to make your own. You’ll need about 4 cups.
- Lasagna Noodles – 9 lasagna noodles should be boiled 2 minutes less than al dente according to box directions. Why? The noodles will continue cooking in the oven, so slightly undercooking them before baking allows them to become the perfect texture.
- Vegan Ricotta – can be store-bought or homemade and can be made with a variety of different ingredients including tofu, almonds, and/or cashews. My recipe is made with cashews, nutritional yeast, seasonings, lemon juice, and water.
- Vegan Mozzarella – use your favorite variety or omit if you’re not a fan of plant-based cheese. You’ll need 1 (7.1 oz) bag shredded mozzarella. I’ve had success with Daiya, Violife, and Full Circle.
How to make
Lasagna can be so time consuming, but this plant based recipe is surprisingly easy!
- Season the veggies with garlic powder, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray, spread marinara sauce to cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish, then arrange 3 noodles lengthwise over sauce.
- Dollop with 1/3rd of the ricotta mixture, then sprinkle on 1/3rd of the veggies and 1/3rd of the mozzarella. Repeat using the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 30 minutes, covered, then uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes. Cool, then slice and serve!
Do you have to pre cook the lasagna noodles?
Yes, you’ll need to cook them slightly less than al dente. Boil them 2 minutes less than the recommended cook time on the box.
The noodles will continue to cook in the casserole as it bakes, so when they’re slightly undercooked before baking, they are perfect when the lasagna is done!
How to layer vegan lasagna
Layering lasagna can seem daunting, but it’s very easy and remember: it doesn’t have to be perfect!
- Spread a layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of a prepared baking dish.
- Layer on noodles, dollop with vegan ricotta, then sprinkle on cooked vegetables and vegan mozzarella.
- Repeat those layers twice (marinara through mozzarella), then top with more marinara.
- Use a homemade marinara. Make my Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce, but omit the parmesan to make it vegan. You’ll need about 4 cups total.
- Use other veggies: Replace the frozen veggies with cooked eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, onion, etc. Check out my Vegetarian Lasagna for inspiration.
- Add protein. Stir in cooked lentils, beans, chopped walnuts, or cooked and crumbled veggie meat to the red sauce.
What to serve with vegan lasagna
Lasagna is perfect served next to a few extra veggies, a salad, and of course, BREAD!
- Easy Roasted Vegetables
- Easy Bruschetta
- Leafy Green Salad with Greek Salad Dressing
- Garlic Bread (use plant-based butter and omit the parmesan)
How to store
Cooled leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave or bake to warm.
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (10.8 oz) bag frozen veggies cooked according to bag directions, then chopped*
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (32 oz) jar marinara sauce about 4 cups
- 9 lasagna noodles cooked 2 minutes less than al dente according to box directions
- 1 batch vegan ricotta cheese
- 1 (7.1 oz) bag shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- Place cooked, chopped veggies into a bowl, then season with garlic powder, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 1 cup marinara sauce to cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish, then arrange 3 noodles lengthwise over sauce.
- Dollop noodles with 1/3rd of the ricotta mixture, then sprinkle on 1/3rd of the veggies and 1/3rd of the mozzarella.
- Repeat the layers (marinara through mozzarella) 2 more times, then cover with the remaining 1 cup marinara sauce.
- Cover with tin foil and bake, covered, in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.