Crustless Goat Cheese Quiche. A great make ahead, vegetarian, gluten free, breakfast that you can just pop in the microwave all week!
Here’s the thing. I’ve been thinking about breakfast a lot lately. Ever since I posted about those healthy egg muffin cups, I’ve been craaaaving eggs. Scrambled, fried, breakfast, lunch, dinner. I want.
Then the other day, Trevor asked me if we’d been eating breakfast. I said, we had those muffin cups…but I guess that was last week. We discovered that we’d been skipping breakfast! Our mornings are so packed with homemade lattes, walks with Teddy, and reading, that we’d forgotten about the most important meal of the day! I originally had another recipe today, but after Trevor told me we’d been skipping breakfast, I tossed the other idea to the side, and looked through my fridge. I needed to make another breakfast recipe that I could make on a Sunday evening that we could eat as leftovers for at least part of the week.
First, I saw…almost nothing. I had used up most of our food for other recipes, but then I saw some goat cheese. I can work with that. Goat cheese goes in anything. Then I realized that I had some leftover roasted red peppers from a recipe coming later this week! Ohhhh goat cheese and roasted red peppers?! Yummo.
I had just made breakfast cups, so I wanted something different. What about a quiche? Wellllll, ok! I didn’t want to make a crust, because I wanted to keep things simple. So what does goat cheese + roasted red peppers + no crust equal? Crustless Goat Cheese Quiche, of course! I threw a few other ingredients in, called it a day, and it came out perfectly and even better, it lasted us for daaayz. Yes. I put the z on days on purpose. 😉
First I chopped up my veggies: onion, baby spinach, jarred roasted red peppers. Make sure your veggies are chopped nice and small! Then I minced some garlic.
Next, I melted just a teeny tiny touch of butter over medium heat in a non-stick pan. Once the butter had melted, I cooked the chopped onions for about 5 minutes. Then I added in the chopped spinach and sauteed that for another 90 seconds. Then I added the minced garlic and cooked that for 30 seconds.
Now, stir in the roasted red pepper, goat cheese, and some shredded cheddar cheese. You should do this over low heat, so the cheese has a chance to melt. Give it a taste and season with salt. Set this aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and a touch of salt and pepper. Make sure to not over salt, because you’ve already seasoned your vegetable/cheese mixture.
Whisk together the vegetable/cheese mixture and the egg/milk mixture. Pour this into a greased 8 in pan. Funnily enough, I didn’t have a pie tin (how am I food blogger, again?), so I just used an 8 in cheesecake pan, ha! Anything should work, just make sure to grease it!
Bake this in a preheated 375 degree F oven. Bake for 15 minutes and then sprinkle with the rest of the shredded cheddar cheese on top. Bake for another 15 – 25 minutes, or until the egg mixture has set.
Remove from the oven and let the crustless goat cheese quiche rest for about 10 minutes before serving!
If you’re not eating right away, just store the quiche in tupperware in your refrigerator.
I love make ahead breakfasts that you can just pop in the microwave all week and this crustless goat cheese quiche might be my favorite one, yet! This quiche is creamy, packs in a ton of veggies, plus it’s cheeeeesy and I love the classic combination of goat cheese and roasted red peppers!
Crustless Goat Cheese Quiche
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 1 cup packed baby spinach roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red pepper diced
- 1 (3 oz) log goat cheese
- 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Melt butter over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 minutes. Add in spinach. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Add in garlic. Saute for 30 seconds. Lower the heat to low and stir in roasted red pepper, goat cheese, and 1/2 of the cheddar cheese. Season with salt, to taste. Set aside.
- Whisk together 4 eggs and milk. Season with a touch of salt and pepper. Because we’ve already salted our veggie/cheese mixture.
- Stir together the egg and milk mixture with the veggie/cheese mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a pan with cooking spray. I used an 8 in cheesecake pan, because I don’t have a pie tin 😉
- Bake for 15 minutes and then sprinkle with the rest of the cheddar cheese on.
- Bake for another 15 - 25 mins, or until the egg mixture has set. You can set this with a toothpick. Or you can see once the egg mixture isn’t jiggly. The time will vary depending on the size of your pan.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.