This Warm Mushroom Quinoa Salad is full of mushrooms and quinoa, spinach, goat cheese, pecans, and is smothered in a honey and apple cider vinegar dressing!
Some people hate quinoa, because of the texture, but that’s exactly why I absolutely love it. It’s gritty and grainy in the best way possible. And it makes me feel like I’m getting my carb overload, but really, it’s a seed, and it’s super healthy and full of protein.
Yes. This Mushroom Quinoa Salad is healthy, but more importantly, it tastes great and comes together really quickly!
Warm, meaty mushrooms + grainy quinoa + a super tart dressing + goat cheese, apples, and pecans.
Best salad ever?
I’m thinking yes.
Now, when one thinks of “fall”, I’m guessing “salad” doesn’t really come to mind.
Personally, I think of cozy soups, casseroles, and all things cheesy. Salad is definitely not at the top of my list.
This salad, however, is warm…so it’s STILL warm and cozy, but *bonus* it’s healthy and won’t make you want to hide in your sweatpants. You still will, because they’re cozy and wonderful, but you could still totally be rockin’ the skinny jeans if you wanted. 😉
This Mushroom Quinoa Salad has 4 main components that make this salad ultra tasty.
1. The Quinoa. Today, we’re cooking our quinoa in vegetable broth for some extra flavor. Feel free to make this ahead of time, but you’ll want to warm it back up, since we’re making a warm and cozy salad!
2. The Mushrooms. Quinoa may be my #1 obsession right now, but mushrooms are slowly creepin’ their way up. Sliced mushrooms get sautéed in a little olive oil with garlic. Throw in some dried rosemary and white wine and you’ll be as obsessed with mushrooms as I am.
3. The Dressing. 3 words. Apple. Cider. Vinegar. It’s tart, tangy, and delicious! Combined with olive oil, dijon, and honey and you’ve got the perfect fall dressing!
4. The “Other” Ingredients aka Jennifer’s Favorite Part. This salad is made on a bed of spinach and mixed with plenty of goat cheese, diced apples (my third latest obsession), and pecans.
The combination of the tender spinach, with grainy quinoa, meaty mushrooms, creamy goat cheese, tart apples, and crunchy pecans is insanely delicious. With so many textures and flavors going on, this is the least boring salad. Ever.
This Mushroom Quinoa Salad is great as a light lunch or dinner, but would even be a great, healthy side dish for your next get together! Oh, and bonus, it’s vegetarian AND gluten free!
It’s warm and cozy, but still healthy…the best of both worlds!
Warm salads? What do you think of ’em? Show me the yummy!
Mushroom Quinoa Salad
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- vegetable stock
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (8 oz) packages sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine
Other Salad Ingredients
- 1 (5 oz) bag baby spinach
- 1 (4 oz) container crumbled goat cheese
- diced apples just eye ball it!
- roughly chopped pecans just eye ball it!
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, but use vegetable stock instead of water.
- Set aside. Warm in the microwave if it cools down too much when it's time to assemble the salad.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Place all ingredients into a bowl (or mason jar) and whisk (or shake) together until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add in mushrooms, rosemary, pepper, and salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and white wine and cook until liquid is absorbed and mushrooms are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Divide spinach evenly onto 4 plates.*
- Spoon warm quinoa over the spinach.
- Spoon warm mushrooms over the quinoa.
- Top with goat cheese, diced apples, and chopped pecans.
- Top with as much dressing as desired.
- Serve immediately!
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.