This Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli is made up of tender beef and crisp broccoli tossed in a sticky, sweet and spicy sauce. A quick version of a take-out classic!
I love take-out, but sometimes I want the slightly healthier and more affordable option of making my favorite take-out dishes at home! Usually, I’ll turn to my slow cooker (if you haven’t checked out my slow cooker mongolian beef, it’s a MUST), but today we’re making things ULTRA quick by using our Instant Pot! I know you’re going to love this instant pot beef and broccoli as much as I do.
If you love Asian inspired cooking as much as I do then you likely have these ingredients on hand already!
- Soy Sauce, Beef Broth, Dark Brown Sugar, Hoisin Sauce, Seasoned Rice Vinegar, Sesame Oil, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Ground Ginger, and Garlic – acts as a marinade to tenderize and flavor the beef and also as the base for a sweet, spicy, and tangy sauce.
- Flank Steak – cut against the grain so it’s extra tender.
- Cornstarch and Beef Broth – whisked together to form a cornstarch slurry which helps to thicken the sauce.
- Broccoli Florets – broccoli florets will cook crisp tender so if you prefer softer broccoli, cut them into bite sized pieces instead!
- Cooked Rice – for serving.
- Chopped Green Onions – for garnish.
How to make
Whisk together a sauce, cook on HIGH pressure, simmer, and serve!
- In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce 1/2 cup broth, sugar, hoisin sauce, vinegar, oil, red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic.
- Stir in steak then cover and let marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
- Pour the steak and marinade into your instant pot then cover, lock the lid, and cook on HIGH for 6 minutes. Allow a natural release for 15 minutes then flip the valve to release the remaining pressure.
- Hit SAUTE on the instant pot, then in a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup broth until smooth. Slowly whisk that into the instant pot.
- Add in broccoli, cover and let sit for 10 minutes or until the broccoli is cooked and the sauce has thickened, then serve over rice with chopped green onions!
What cut of beef to use
Flank steak is more affordable than other cuts of beef, but is still able to become very tender in the instant pot. Be sure to slice against the grain, because this cuts through and shortens the longer, tougher muscle fibers which results in more tender meat.
You can also use chuck roast, skirt steak, or sirloin steak if preferred!
How long do you cook beef in the instant pot?
The beef cooks for 6 minutes at HIGH pressure in the instant pot. You’ll then allow the instant pot to naturally release for 15 minutes for perfectly tender and flavorful beef.
So quick and easy!
Can you use frozen broccoli?
Yep! Frozen broccoli will work but it won’t get as crisp tender as fresh broccoli will. It will also take slightly longer to cook so be sure the broccoli is warmed all the way through before you serve it.
What to serve with beef and broccoli
I love to serve my beef and broccoli over white rice but you can also serve it over quinoa, cauliflower rice, or brown rice!
It’s also delicious served next to an Asian-inspired side dish or two!
How to store
Store leftover beef and broccoli in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave or warm on the stove.
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
Equipment for this recipe
- 3/4 cups soy sauce use a gluten free variety, if necessary
- 3/4 cups beef broth divided
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce use a gluten free variety, if necessary
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less depending on your heat preference
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak halved lengthwise, then sliced against the grain into 1/2 inch thick strips
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pound broccoli florets*
- Cooked rice for serving
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, 1/2 cup broth, sugar, hoisin, vinegar, oil, red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic until well combined.
- Stir in steak, then cover and let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or (preferably) in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
- Pour steak and marinade into your 6 quart Instant Pot.
- Cover and lock the lid (make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to sealing).
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 6 minutes.
- When the time is up, allow a natural release for 15 minutes, then flip the valve to release the remaining pressure.
- Hit SAUTE on the Instant Pot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup broth until smooth, then slowly whisk into the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the broccoli, then cover and let sit for 10 minutes (or until the broccoli is cooked to your liking and the sauce has thickened to your liking).
- Taste and re-season, if necessary, then serve over rice with chopped green onions and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.