This Healthy Chicken Chili Mac is full of ground chicken, veggies, spices, beans, pasta and cheese! I love this healthy twist on a classic!
Today’s post is sponsored by USA Pulses & Pulse Canada!
Healthy Chicken Chili Mac in the hoooooouse.
Loaded with whole wheat pasta, TWO kinds of beans, ground chicken, and veggies, this is a lightened up version of an indulgent classic.
While I may have cut out a ton of calories, you better believe I didn’t cut out any of the flavor.
Perfect for busy week nights, chilly fall lunches, and even as a healthy game day meal!
Who’s ready for some Healthy Chicken Chili Mac?!
I know I am!
Once the days start getting chilly, we ALL crave comfort foods. Bring on the heavy cream, biscuits, cookies, and all things cozy and delicious.
But often those comfort foods (*ahem as mentioned above 😉 ) that make us feel so cozy, can also often leave us feeling WAY too stuffed.
So today, let’s do a little mash up and have healthy comfort food!
It’s the best of both worlds!
Plus, *BONUS* this is a one pot wonder.
You’ll start by cooking some ground chicken, onion, and bell pepper together in a large straight edged saute pan (or stockpot).
Once cooked, you’ll stir in all the yummy spices:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt & pep
Then you’ll add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, whole wheat macaroni, and TWO kinds of beans:
- Kidney beans
- Black beans
Let this whole mixture simmer for a bit, top with cheese, and that’s dinner!
How’s that for easy peasy healthy comfort food?!
One of my FAVORITE ways to up the health stats in comfort food recipes like this is using beans, which did you know, are actually pulses?
Wait whaaaat? What the heck are pulses?
Yep! Basically, pulses are dry peas, chickpeas, lentils, and beans (like we’re using today). They’re loaded with protein and helloooooo are super delish.
Lately, I’ve been trying to incorporate pulses at LEAST 3 times a week. It’s easy! Want to join me in the challenge? Sign up for the Half-Cup Habit, and see just how easy it can be to add ½ cup serving of pulses to your diet 3 times a week.
It’s especially easy when recipes like this Healthy Chicken Chili Mac exist.
It’s hearty, it’s flavorful, it’s cozy, it’s a little cheesy . . .
It’s everything you want in healthy comfort food!
So what are you waiting for?!
Go make some Healthy Chicken Chili Mac! 😉
How do YOU incorporate pulses into your recipes? Show Me the Yummy!
Healthy Chicken Chili Mac
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 1/2 cup shredded skim sharp cheddar cheese more to taste if desired
- Heat a large stockpot or straight edged saute pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add in chicken and veggies.
- Cook, breaking up the chicken as you go, until chicken is no longer pink and veggies are tender.
- Stir in spices, tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, broth, and macaroni.
- Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 7 minutes. Stir every few minutes.
- Uncover and cook an additional 7 minutes.
- Top with cheese. Cover with lid for another minute or two to melt the cheese.
- Taste and re-season if necessary and serve!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Thanks again to our friends at the USA Pulses & Pulse Canada for sponsoring today’s post!