These Drop Biscuits are crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle! These easy biscuits are ready in under 30 minutes and made with Bisquick, buttermilk, and white cheddar.
I absolutely adore biscuits, but I don’t love how finicky they can be to make. My solution? Drop biscuits! Whip up a fool-proof dough (thanks to Bisquick baking mix), scoop them onto a baking sheet, and bake until golden brown.
What are drop biscuits?
Drop biscuits are made up of essentially the same ingredients as any other biscuit but, rather than rolling or cutting the dough to shape the biscuits, you scoop and “drop” the dough onto a pan for baking!
These drop biscuits are so simple to make — only a few ingredients needed!
- Bisquick Mix – the base for our dough. I love using Bisquick mix, because it’s an already-made base of flour and a leavening agent. Two in one makes for an easier-to-make recipe!
- Granulated Sugar – adds sweetness and also dissolves into the biscuits to give them a lighter, more tender texture.
- Garlic Powder, Pepper, and Salt – a simple seasoning blend that really adds so much flavor.
- Buttermilk – adds moisture while also adding acidity to the dough. This reacts with the leavening agent in the Bisquick mix to help the dough rise.
- White Cheddar Cheese – melts into the biscuits for a delicious sharp, cheesy flavor and gooey texture in each bite.
How to make
This drop biscuits recipe takes 25 minutes from start to finish!
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together Bisquick, sugar, pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
- Pour in milk and stir until fully combined then stir in shredded cheese.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup or ice cream scoop to portion out 12 biscuits on two baking sheets lined with silicone baking mats.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes then cool, serve, and enjoy!
Can you use a different cheese?
You can use any kind of cheese you like in this drop biscuits recipe, as long as it melts well! I love the flavor of white cheddar cheese, but feel free to use your favorite kind!
Mozzarella, feta, gruyere, pepperjack, you name it! You could also check out my parmesan drop biscuits instead.
What to serve with drop biscuits
These biscuits are delicious on their own as a snack with jam or topped with homemade sausage gravy, but I also love to serve them alongside some yummy main dishes for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
How to store
These biscuits will last in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then bake or microwave to warm if desired.
Equipment for this recipe
- 3 cups bisquick mix spoon and leveled
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat free buttermilk
- 1 (8 oz) block white cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line 2 rimmed baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together bisquick, sugar, pepper, garlic powder, and salt- it’s ok if there are a few lumps.
- Pour in milk and stir until well mixed, then stir in cheese.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup or ice cream scoop to portion out 12 biscuits, place 6 on each prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the insides are cooked and the tops are golden brown.
- Cool slightly, then serve and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.