This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is creamy, cheesy, and made in one pot! Only 15 minutes of prep required to make this veggie packed soup.
I absolutely love a delicious bowl of soup…and this broccoli cheddar soup does not disappoint! It’s cheesy, creamy, packed with veggies . . . it’s everything you want in soup!
This broccoli cheddar soup is made with ingredients you probably already have on hand!
- Butter – used to cook the veggies to provide a deep, rich flavor.
- Yellow Onion, Carrot, and Celery – the classic veggie blend to add flavor, texture, and nutrients!
- Garlic – adds that subtle nutty flavor.
- Salt and Pepper – enhances other flavors.
- Nutmeg – adds warmth. A little pinch goes a long way!
- All-Purpose Flour – thickens the soup.
- Vegetable Broth and Half-and-Half – the base of the soup. The broth adds flavor and the half-and-half adds an amazing creaminess.
- Broccoli – fresh broccoli florets are chopped into bite sized pieces. Make them larger or smaller depending on your texture preference!
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – can’t have broccoli cheddar soup without cheddar cheese. 😉 I love sharp cheddar to balance out the creaminess, but if it’s too bold for you, go for a mild cheddar!
How to make
This soup takes just 15 minutes to prep and is made in just one-pot for super easy prep and cleanup!
- Melt butter in a large stockpot then stir in onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Whisk in flour then broth and half-and-half. Let simmer.
- Stir in broccoli then cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat then stir in cheese, little bits at a time, until fully melted then serve and enjoy!
How to thicken broccoli cheddar soup
Both the flour and the cheese in this recipe act as thickeners, but if the soup isn’t thickened to your liking, first try simmering it uncovered for a bit. If it’s still not thick enough, try adding a bit more cheese. You could even try stirring in a slurry made with equal parts flour and water.
Can you use frozen broccoli?
I don’t recommend using frozen broccoli. The freshly chopped broccoli florets hold up better when cooked and have better flavor and texture in the soup. Frozen broccoli will likely be too mushy and watery!
Is broccoli cheddar soup gluten-free?
This recipe for broccoli cheddar soup is not gluten free, because the thickening agent in this broccoli cheddar soup recipe is all-purpose flour. You can try replacing the all-purpose flour with a cup for cup gluten free flour blend if you need to make this gluten free. (*not tested)
You can also whip up a cornstarch slurry instead of using flour by mixing together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water then adding that, very little bits at a time, until the soup has reached your desired thickness. (*not tested)
Tips and tricks
- Chop broccoli into small pieces. I chop the broccoli florets pretty small so that they can be well incorporated into the soup. This also ensures that they cook all the way through.
- Shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is coated in an anti-clumping agent that can result in a soup with a somewhat grainy texture. To avoid this, I definitely recommend shredding your own. It takes a little bit more time but it’s so worth it!
- Add cheese little bits at a time. Adding small amounts at a time and allowing that to melt before adding more prevents the cheese from clumping up in the soup.
What to serve with broccoli cheddar soup
I like to serve my soup up with an extra sprinkle of cheddar cheese and a couple grinds of black pepper. It’s also delicious topped with croutons or even diced ham!
If you’re looking to bulk the meal up with a couple of side dishes or extras, here are some yummy ideas!
How to store
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, just microwave or heat in a saucepan on the stove!
Can broccoli cheddar soup be frozen?
Dairy (in this case half-and-half) tends to separate when frozen, so I don’t recommend storing this soup in the freezer. Once it thaws, the texture won’t be the same.
Looking for a lightened-up version? Try my skinny broccoli cheese soup recipe instead!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Equipment for this recipe
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 very large carrot diced (1 cup diced)
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste (I did 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 2 heaping cups roughly chopped broccoli florets about 1 head with large stems removed
- 1 (8 oz) block sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Cook, stirring often, until the carrots are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in additional butter and allow to melt.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk for 60 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in broth, then stir in the half and half.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring regularly, then stir in broccoli.
- Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes (you’ll likely need to lower your heat to keep at a simmer) or until broccoli is tender, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Turn off the heat, then stir in the cheese little by little until melted.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.