This Beet Pasta Recipe is made with just 8 ingredients and is perfect for Spring! Fresh beet pasta is tossed with tangy lemon juice, a touch of olive oil, arugula, tart and creamy goat cheese, and toasted pine nuts!
The beet pasta recipe is absolutely packed with ALL the Spring flavors!
- Beet Fusilli – or any other type of short pasta, if preferred.
- Olive Oil and Fresh Lemon Juice – makes up a super fresh and tangy sauce for the pasta.
- Lemon Zest – adds another kick of bright lemon flavor.
- Baby Arugula – adds freshness and a pop of color.
- Goat Cheese – gives the pasta dish a tart flavor bite and creamy texture.
- Salt and Black Pepper – brings out other flavors and adds a touch of heat.
- Pine Nuts – toasted and used as garnish!
How to make
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Once the pasta is cooked, drain, but reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Whisk olive oil and lemon juice together in a small bowl.
- Toss the pasta with lemon/oil sauce.
- Optional: add the reserved cooking liquid 1/4 cup at a time until the pasta has reached your desired consistency. You might not need it right away but you can still save the pasta water for leftovers!
- Stir in arugula, lemon zest, goat cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts then serve and enjoy!
What pasta to use
I use beet pasta that I got from Pasta Crate! I love the earthy flavor of the pasta paired with the fresh Spring flavors in the rest of this recipe.
However, if you can’t find beet pasta, any short pasta will work!
what does beet pasta taste like?
Beet pasta has a slightly earthy flavor to it with just a hint of sweetness.
Pair that with tart goat cheese, bright and tangy lemon, and nutty olive oil and you’ve got the Springiest, most delicious dinner ever!
I love this pasta dish as is but feel free to switch things up if preferred!
- Add more veggies. Use any of your favorite “Springy” veggies. Try mushrooms, onions, broccoli, asparagus, peas, etc.
- Use another pasta. Can’t find beet pasta? Any kind works!
- Make it creamier. Swap the pasta water out for a splash of half-and-half for a creamier pasta.
What to serve with beet pasta
Serve this Spring pasta with your favorite Spring sides!
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- Balsamic Kale Salad
- Toasted Bread with Arugula Walnut Pesto
- Mushroom Quinoa Salad
How to store
Store leftover pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
To reheat, microwave or warm on the stove with a splash of reserved pasta water.
I don’t recommend freezing it because the texture won’t be affected and you will lost all of the freshness.
Beet Pasta Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 pound beet fusilli *
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup pine nuts toasted**
- Cook the pasta according to package directions in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Meanwhile, whisk the olive oil and lemon juice together in a small bowl.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain, but reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Toss the pasta with the lemon/oil sauce.
- Optional - Add the reserved cooking liquid 1/4 cup at a time until desired consistency is reached. I actually didn’t need any when I served this right away, but as time goes on, it will dry out, so moisten it with the pasta water as needed. 🙂
- Gently stir in arugula, lemon zest, goat cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with pine nuts.
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.