A healthier twist on a classic, you’re going to LOVE these healthy fruit pizza cookies. A reduced sugar, whole wheat sugar cookie crust topped with a greek yogurt, honey sweetened “frosting”, and all your favorite seasonal fresh fruit.
If you haven’t had the pleasure of eating fruit pizza at a summer BBQ, you’ve been missing out. Typically, fruit pizza is a gigantic sugar cookie topped with a luxurious cream cheese frosting and loaded with fruit.
While that’s definitely ah-mazing and delicious and I’ll definitely post a recipe for that at some point, today, we’re lightening things up a bit. These healthy fruit pizza cookies are my twist on a classic.
- Giant sugar cookie crust becomes mini cookies made with whole wheat flour and are greatly reduced in sugar
- Cream cheese frosting becomes a naturally sweetened greek yogurt “frosting”
- Fruit, well, that remains the same, because helloooo nature’s candy
While there’s a time and a place for the traditional recipe, I’m REALLY loving this healthier version.
Ingredients for healthy fruit pizza cookies:
- Coconut oil
- Lemon juice
- Whole wheat flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
How to make a healthy frosting for fruit pizza without cream cheese:
- Place non fat plain greek yogurt, honey, and vanilla extract into a medium sized bowl.
- Whisk until well combined.
What’s the best fruit for fruit pizza?
- Strawberries – pictured
- Blueberries – pictured
- Sliced grapes – pictured
What’s YOUR favorite fruit for fruit pizza?
Is fruit pizza healthy?
Typically fruit pizza is NOT healthy due to the sugar cookie crust and cream cheese frosting, but today’s recipe, IS healthy. It’s loaded with whole wheat, greek yogurt, and fresh fruit! Plus, it’s significantly lower in sugar.
Can I make these fruit pizzas vegan, gluten free, dairy free, etc.?
Since I haven’t personally tested any of these options, I would recommend following the recipe as is. That being said, here are some suggestions that *may* work:
- Vegan – use all coconut oil, a flax egg, non dairy yogurt, and agave or maple syrup instead of honey
- Gluten free – use a cup-for-cup flour like Bob’s Red Mill
- Dairy free – use all coconut oil and a dairy free yogurt
Again, I haven’t personally tested these options, so I can’t guarantee the results.
A lightly sweetened, flavorful whole wheat cookie with a creamy, tart “frosting”, and all your favorite seasonal fresh fruit.
Indulgent enough for dessert, healthy enough for breakfast.
The perfect summer treat!
Do you want more healthy summer treats? Show Me the Yummy!
Healthy Fruit Pizza Cookies
Whole Wheat Cookie Crusts
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Greek Yogurt Frosting
- 1 cup non fat plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Other Fruit Pizza Ingredients
- Sliced strawberries
- Sliced green grapes
- Honey for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat. Set aside.
- Whisk together oil through egg, then stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- Use a large cookie scoop to create 12 even cookie dough balls.
- Place six onto the prepared sheet, then use the bottom of a glass to gently flatten them.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Whisk together greek yogurt, honey, and vanilla extract.
- “Frost” each cookie with a spoonful of the greek yogurt mixture, then top with fruit. Drizzle with honey and serve.
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.