These double chocolate bananas muffins are ridiculously easy to make . . . and even easier to eat. Full of ripe bananas, brown sugar, cocoa powder, and dark chocolate chunks! Socially acceptable for breakfast, but decadent enough for dessert. 😉
I just love muffins.
I love them so much.
Even though I’m definitely more of a savory person than a sweet breakfast person, I do have a special place in my
heart stomach for really good muffins.
While Trevor is more of a fruity muffin person, I am definitely a gimme all the chocolate muffins kinda girl.
If you’re with Trevor, be sure to check out this berry banana bread recipe (would probably make GREAT muffins), but today, this ones for my fellow chocoholics.
Say hello to double chocolate banana muffins, my friends.
Please tell me I’m not the only one that buys bananas specially for making breads and muffins.
I feel like normal people buy bananas for snacking, then maybe a few of them don’t get eaten before they get too ripe, so THEN they use the leftovers for breads and muffins.
Nope. I really dislike snacking on bananas.
So I buy them.
Until they’re SO brown and gross, yet perfect for baking.
Please tell me I’m not the only one.
Regardless, here’s how you make double chocolate banana muffins:
- Whisk together melted butter, dark brown sugar, egg, and vanilla
- Whisk in mashed bananas <– make sure they’re super ultra ripe for maximum flavor
- Stir in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt
- Stir in dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Bake ’em up
I really did devour these . . .
I have zero self control when it comes to fresh outta the oven, moist, banana-y, ultra chocolate-y, served with a little bitta buttah double chocolate banana muffins. YUM.
These muffins are quick and easy to make and are definitely a crowd pleaser making them perfect for easy weekend brunches! Because they’re muffins, they’re socially acceptable for breakfast, but because they’re double chocolate, they’re definitely good enough for dessert . . . warm . . . with ice cream.
But I’m not speaking from experience or anything. 😉
Are you as obsessed with muffins as I am? What flavor should I make next? Show Me the Yummy!
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Equipment for this recipe
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas about 3 large bananas
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon optional, but highly recommended for more flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 - 1 cup dark chocolate chunks plus more for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F and line a standard 12 cup non stick muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla.
- Whisk in mashed bananas.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Use a spatula to mix. Don’t over mix.
- Gently stir in dark chocolate chunks.
- Scoop evenly into prepared muffin tin. You should get 12 muffins.
- Top with a few more chocolate chips.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees F and then lower heat to 350 degrees F (keep muffins in oven)
- Bake an additional 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out *almost* clean. **Don’t over bake and make sure you’re not sticking a toothpick into a chocolate chip**
- Remove from pan and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.