Split Pea Soup
Cozy up to a bowl of this hearty Split Pea Soup! Sweet split peas are cooked with tender ham, fluffy potatoes, and a delicious seasoning blend for a nutritious and flavor-packed dinner.
Servings: 8 people
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups diced yellow onions about 1 large
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery about 1 small bunch
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrot about 3 - 4 large
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 (32 oz) cartons chicken broth
- 1 (1 pound) bag dried green split peas
- 1 pound ham cubed into small chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups peeled and cubed Yukon gold potatoes approximately 1/2 - 1 inch cubes
Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat.
Add in onions, celery, carrot, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme.
Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
Stir in chicken broth, split peas, ham, and bay leaves.
Bring to a simmer, turn heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
Stir in potatoes, then re-cover and simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Taste and re-season if necessary, then enjoy!
Serving: 1person | Calories: 456kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 1839mg | Potassium: 1287mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4479IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 4mg