Tom Kha Gai Soup
This Tom Kha Gai soup is SUPER easy and loaded with great flavors and textures such as tangy lime, creamy coconut, spicy cayenne, and tender chicken!
Servings: 4 people
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14 oz) cans coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (4 oz) white mushrooms sliced
- 1 (1 inch) piece ginger peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass tough outer layers removed, and cut into 4 pieces
- thinly sliced green onion for garnish
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Cut chicken into chunks. Heat pan over medium heat. Add in oil and chicken and sauté for to 2 to 3 minutes. Salt slightly. The chicken won’t be cooked through, it’ll continue to cook in the soup later on.
In a pot, bring coconut milk and chicken broth to a barely simmer over medium heat. Whisk to break up milk.
Add in the chicken, mushrooms, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice, cayenne powder and lemon grass. Simmer until the chicken is done and the mushrooms are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. You may need to lower heat.
Sprinkle with green onion and fresh cilantro and serve steaming hot. I also love serving this over steamed brown rice!
Take 5 seconds to . We greatly appreciate it!
*Lemongrass: First, peel the outer layers (they look like corn husks). Then with the back of your knife, hit the lemongrass. You'll make indents all along the stalk. Then, cut into quarters.
* You won't eat the ginger/lemongrass, but whenever I get this in restaurants, they always leave the pieces in the soup!
Calories: 633kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 56g | Saturated Fat: 47g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 1649mg | Potassium: 1097mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 86IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 7mg