Mexican Vegetable Soup
This Mexican Vegetable Soup is chock full of veggies, subtly spicy, and makes a ton! Make it today for Meatless Monday and enjoy it all week long!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 10 people
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 bell peppers diced (I used 1 red, 1 green, and 1 yellow)
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (4 oz) cans mild diced green chile pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz) can corn drained
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 zucchini diced
- salt to taste
- lime juice
- tortilla strips
- Sour cream
Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
Add in diced bell peppers, red onion, jalapeno, and a touch of salt.
Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add in minced garlic and spices (ground cumin, oregano, cayenne).
Stir and cook for 60 seconds.
Add in diced tomatoes, green chiles, and vegetable broth.
Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add in beans, corn, and diced zucchini.
Re-cover and simmer for another 15 more minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.
Serve immediately with optional toppings!
Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 857mg | Potassium: 729mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1845IU | Vitamin C: 69.1mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 4.1mg