This Slow Cooker Corn Pudding is decadent, creamy, easy to make, and a crowd favorite! Loaded with cream-style corn, sweet corn, sour cream, cream cheese, and cheddar — it’s the perfect holiday side dish!
You guys. This slow cooker corn pudding might just be my new favorite Thanksgiving recipe…like, ever!
Loaded with corn, a little sweet, a little salty, a little tangy, and a whole lot of creamy. This is definitely going to be a favorite at the Thanksgiving table!
What is corn pudding?
Corn pudding is a classic holiday dish! Although pudding does imply “dessert”, and corn pudding is sweet, this pudding is a savory dish made up of creamed corn, cornbread mix, and other ingredients.
Corn pudding is similar to corn casserole in ingredients (cornbread mix, corn, sour cream, butter), but the texture is slightly different. A corn casserole has more structure (like a loose cornbread.) Corn pudding, on the other hand, has a smoother, creamier, more custard-like texture…hence the word pudding in the name!
This simple list of ingredients comes together to make a flavorful holiday side dish!
- Cream-Style Corn – makes the pudding ultra creamy and provides a sweet corn flavor.
- Sweet Corn – adds a pop of texture and sweetness.
- Unsalted Butter – gives the pudding even more moisture and richness.
- Sour Cream and Cream Cheese – provide a tangy flavor and creamy, rich texture.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – adds a sharp, cheesy flavor to balance out the richness of the other ingredients. Also helps to create that ooey-gooey texture.
- Buttermilk – melts into the other ingredients to form a delicious creamy texture.
- Eggs – gives the other ingredients some structure to achieve that pudding-like texture.
- Cornbread Mix – our base! I use Jiffy cornbread mix, but other brands will work as well!
- Granulated Sugar – adds just a touch more sweetness to enhance the corn flavor.
- Salt and Pepper – cuts the sweetness and adds a touch of spice.
How to make
Not only are you going to be blown away by how delicious this is, but you’re going to LOVE how easy it is to make too. Only 10 minutes of prep for this delicious, flavorful side dish!
- Place all of your ingredients into a greased crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours then serve and enjoy!
How long to cook
Cook corn pudding in the crockpot on HIGH for 5 hours. You’ll know it’s done when the mixture is slightly set but still creamy and delicious.
Why is my corn pudding watery?
If your corn pudding came out watery, you may have forgotten to drain the canned sweet corn.
Although you do want the added moisture from the creamed corn, you want to make sure you drain the sweet corn before adding that to the crockpot. Otherwise your corn pudding will be too moist!
If you forgot to drain the canned sweet corn, try giving the pudding a stir, then cook for additional time with the lid OFF — this should help some of the liquid evaporate.
Is corn pudding served hot or cold?
Corn pudding is best served warm. Serve immediately, hot, from the crockpot or re-heat in the microwave until warm.
I love this slow cooker corn pudding as-is but if you want to switch the flavors up, here are some ideas!
- Use a different cheese. Try pepper jack, monterey jack, gouda, etc.
- Add meat. Add bacon bits for a delicious smoky flavor and crunchy texture.
- Give it a Mexican flavor twist. Try my Mexican street corn spoon bread.
What to serve with corn pudding
Corn pudding is a classic holiday side dish! I love to serve it alongside other delicious seasonal side dishes. Here are some of my favorites!
- Green Bean Casserole
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Sausage Stuffing
- Cherry Bruschetta
How to store
Leftovers will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave single servings until warmed through. To reheat a larger amount, place in a greased baking dish and bake at 325ºF until heated all the way through. You can also re-warm in the crockpot.
Slow Cooker Corn Pudding
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (15 oz) can cream style corn
- 2 (15 oz) cans sweet corn drained
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cubed
- 1 (8 oz) container sour cream *can halve for less rich dish
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese cubed *can halve for less rich dish
- 1 (8 oz) block sharp cheddar cheese shredded *can halve for less rich dish
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs slightly beaten
- 1 (8.5 oz) box cornbread mix
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- sour cream and chives optional for serving
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients (corn - pepper) into crockpot.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until mixture is set.
- Serve with optional extra sour cream and chives!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
This post was originally published November 14, 2017 and has been updated to provide more detailed content.