This Pizza Soup is like an ultra-cheesy supreme pizza in a bowl! A delicious and hearty way to enjoy all those pizza flavors without the crust.taco pizza, pizza dip, pizza rolls, breakfast pizza bagels, and now PIZZA SOUP!
What is pizza soup?
Pizza soup is a soup that has ALL of your favorite pizza flavors made into a warm, cozy bowl of soup. Today we’re using classic pizza ingredients like sausage, veggies, pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese, but we’re adding chicken broth and diced tomatoes to make this dish thin enough to be a soup!
Don’t see your favorite pizza topping listed below? Throw it into the soup!
- Italian Sausage – helps give that rich, salty pizza flavor. You can use mild, medium, or hot depending on your preference!
- Green Bell Pepper, Yellow Onion, and Mushrooms – a few supreme pizza toppings to add texture, flavor, and nutrients to the soup.
- Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder, Dried Oregano, Dried Basil, Salt, and Pepper – this blend of seasonings is what really gives the soup that classic pizza flavor.
- Chicken Broth – serves as a flavorful base for the soup.
- Diced Tomatoes and Pizza Sauce – diced tomatoes add texture while pizza sauce thickens the soup and enhances the “pizza flavor”.
- Pepperoni – THE classic pizza topping that adds a slightly smoky, spicy flavor and chewy texture.
- Parmesan – adds a nutty, salty, cheesy flavor.
- Shredded Cheese – use a pizza cheese blend made up of mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, asiago, fontino, and romano for the most classic pizza taste! If you can’t find a pizza cheese blend, I love using a mozzarella/provolone blend and topping with extra parmesan!
How to make
Just 15 minutes of prep for a delicious, cheesy, ultra-flavorful, and hearty dinner!
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat, add in Italian sausage, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and seasonings, and cook until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Stir in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, pizza sauce, pepperoni, and parmesan then bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and re-season if necessary then serve topped with shredded cheese and enjoy!
Is pizza soup gluten-free?
This pizza soup is naturally gluten free, but as always, double check your ingredients to be sure! This dish is a great way to get AAALL those delicious pizza flavors without the crust! Serve it with your favorite gluten free breadstick, if desired!
- Use other pizza toppings. Bacon, olives, artichoke hearts, veggies, Canadian bacon, basil, you name it!
- Make it creamy. For a creamier soup, stir in a splash of half-and-half or heavy cream.
- Make it spicy. Top with a generous sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat.
What to serve with pizza soup
This soup makes a delicious, hearty, and filling meal on its own but I do love to serve it up with a yummy side or two!
How to store
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months. To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave or heat on the stovetop until warmed through. – Jennifer
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (16 oz) package Italian sausage mild, medium, or hot
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 1 (8 oz) container mushrooms diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste (I used 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) jar pizza sauce
- 1 (6 oz) package pepperonis quartered
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- Shredded cheese for serving (I used a pizza cheese blend: mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, asiago, fontina, and romano)
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add in Italian sausage, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, breaking up the meat as you go, until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Stir in the chicken broth, scraping up any brown bits, then stir in the diced tomatoes, pizza sauce, pepperoni, and parmesan.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent the cheese from sticking to the bottom.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls, then top each bowl of soup with a generous amount of shredded cheese and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.