These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are ultra chewy and naturally gluten free. These cookies are full of oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and chocolate chips!
I have finally done it. I have finally made the BEST Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe.
These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are thick, chewy, hearty, cozy, cinnamon-y, and perfectly chocolatey.
For those of you who like raisins, you could totally swap the chocolate chip for raisins . . .
but I’m just going to stick with my beloved chocolate chips, ok? 🙂
While these cookies might be perfect, the recipe testing process was not.
Ohhhh no it wasn’t. Sometimes a recipe will turn out perfectly the first time you make it, and others will totally test your patience.
This Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe was the latter.
It took me FIVE times to finally perfect this recipe.
- Round #1: So. So. So. Bad. Liiiiike they tasted amazing, but they spread like crazy and looked extremely unappetizing.
- Round #2: Better, but they still spread too much.
- Round #3: Closer, but not quite there.
- Round #4: Almost there! The edges were perfectly chewy, but that darn middle still wouldn’t set.
- Round #5: PERFECTION. Finally.
How did I celebrate?
With all the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, of course!
PS – Have no fear, while the cookies from round #1 – #4 didn’t turn out, no cookie dough was wasted in the process and ended up right in my belly with no complaints. 😉
I’ve always had the largest sweet tooth, because of this, I’ve gone through quite a few cookie flavor obsessions. One week, I’ll want nothing but double chocolate chip cookies loaded with white chocolate and nuts. The next, gimme all the peanut butter, m&m studded monster cookies.
This week, I’m all about the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
Honestly, it’s The Bachelor’s fault. You can’t not have yummy snacks while watching The Bachelor finale. Right?!
Now I’ve had quite a few Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies in my life, but I have to say, this new recipe is my favorite.
Why are these the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies?
- I only use brown sugar. It gives SO much flavor and coziness to these cookies.
- I only use old fashioned oats. No flour here! I’m keeping these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies naturally gluten free and ultra chewy!
- I use warm, cozy ingredients like an entire 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extra and 1 whole teaspoon of cinnamon.
- I don’t use too many chocolate chips <– say what?! I thought there was no such thing as too many chocolate chips?! Typically, I’m totally with you, but for me, in oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, if you use too many chocolate chips, you really lose the flavor of all the other ingredients! Just trust me on this one. 🙂
Let’s talk about how we make these ultra delicious cookies.
How do you make soft, thick and chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies?
- Cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Stir in vanilla and 1 large egg.
- Then stir in ground old fashioned oats (we’ll get to that in a second), whole old fashioned oats, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- That’s it! Then you’ll scoop out the dough using a 1/4 cup measuring cup and let ’em firm up in the fridge (optional).
- Bake and DEVOUR!
But wait. wait. wait. Hoooooold up. What’s up with those ground old fashioned oats?
Well, remember when I said these didn’t have flour?
How do you make homemade oat flour?
To replace the flour we’re grinding up old fashioned oats in our food processor. That’s it. Simply place old fashioned oats into the food processor and pulse until it resembles a fine flour.
It’s super simple, super quick, and you can grind up more than you need and just store the extra in your pantry for later!
I wanted to use ground old fashioned oats instead of flour to keep these gluten free, extra chewy, and I really wanted the oat flavor to shine in this oatmeal chocolate chip cookies recipe!
The result is a hearty, thick, chewy, perfectly chocolate-y oatmeal cookie! These are great fresh outta the oven and at room temperature with a big ‘ol glass of ice cold milk!
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookie lovers, rejoice!
What’s your fave cookie flavor? Show me the yummy!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup ground old fashioned oats*
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats left whole
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips Lately I've been preferring dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with silicone mats.
- In your stand mixer, beat butter and brown sugar together until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla and egg.
- Stir in ground oats, whole oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pack dough into the 1/4 cup and turn out dough onto prepared baking sheet - no more than 6 cookies on each baking sheet.
- Bake immediately, or chill for 30-60 minutes.**
- Bake cookies in preheated oven until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cookies sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to let finish cooling or eat immediately!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
This Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe was originally published March 25, 2016, and has been updated to include a video and more detailed content.