This Healthy Zucchini Cake is vegan, gluten free, flourless, and loaded with almond butter, dark chocolate, and zucchini!
I’m not gonna lie.
I could reeeeeeally use a slice of this Healthy Zucchini Cake right about now.
It was a jam packed weekend full of fun, friends, and family . . .
so I’m tired.
So that means,
I need cake. 😉
If you read my Avocado Pesto post a while back, then you know we have friends that eat healthy 99.999999% 😉 of the time.
They had us over for dinner and we were in charge of bringing a side dish (I brought Mediterranean Farro Salad <– duh) and dessert.
I started racking my brain for what to bring.
They’ve had my Black Bean Brownies (and LOVE them), but they’ve had those before so I wanted to make them something new.
I also wanted to make something flourless that was loaded with dark chocolate (because flourless desserts with dark chocolate are life).
I saw some zucchini and almond butter in my fridge and before I knew it, this Healthy Zucchini Cake was born!
It’s easy and SO delish.
What ingredients are in healthy zucchini cake?
- All natural almond butter (the kind with just almonds on the ingredient list)
- Pure maple syrup
- Mashed banana – if you don’t like banana, have no fear, because you really can’t taste it
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Vegan dark chocolate
- Shredded zucchini
How do you make a healthy vegan gluten free chocolate zucchini cake?
- Whisk together all natural almond butter, maple syrup, mashed banana, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Fold in chocolate chips (I actually used a combo of dark chocolate chips AND chunks <– because why not?!) and shredded zucchini.
- Pour into a round cake pan
- Bake. Cool. Serve.
This Healthy Zucchini Cake is absolutely perfect on it’s own . . .
It’s also super good re-warmed in the microwave then topped with vegan cool whip or ice cream . . .
Light, fluffy chocolate cake, that’s healthy and packed with veggies, but actually tastes good?
We can all FINALLY have our cake AND eat it too. 😉
Healthy Zucchini Cake Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 cup natural almond butter unsalted
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup ripe mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped vegan dark chocolate more for topping if desired (chunks or chips work fine)
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (loosely packed, don’t squeeze out water)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a round 9x9 in baking pan with cooking spray (I lined mine with parchment paper as well for easy serving).
- Whisk together almond butter, maple syrup, banana, and vanilla.
- Stir in cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and zucchini until combined.
- Place mixture into prepared pan and use a spatula to spread evenly.
- Top with a handful of chocolate, if desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out *mostly* clean.
- Allow cake to completely cool before slicing and serving.
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.