This French Bread Pizza is a dinner the whole family will love! Homemade garlic bread is piled with gooey cheese and all your favorite pizza toppings. Bonus: it’s ready in 30 minutes or less.
This french bread pizza is the ultimate lazy night dinner that the whole family will love! This recipe is essentially garlic bread that’s been smothered in sauce, then your choice of cheese and toppings! What’s not to love?
What is french bread pizza?
French bread pizza is exactly as the name suggests: french bread that’s been piled with sauce, cheese, and all your favorite pizza toppings! It’s baked until the bread is crispy and the cheese is ooey-gooey melty perfection!
- Bread – 1 (16 oz) loaf French bread is called for in the original recipe. It’s crispy, yet fluffy, but is sturdy enough to hold up to the sauce, cheese, and toppings. You can find this bread in the bakery section at any grocery store! Note: a French loaf is different than a French baguette. French bread is wider, longer, and softer than a baguette, making it perfect for pizza.
- Butter Sauce: Butter, Parmesan, Parsley, Basil, Garlic, Salt, and Pepper – melted butter is combined with parmesan, fresh or dried herbs, fresh garlic, and spices then slathered over the bread. This mixture adds SO much incredible flavor to the bread before adding the pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings. Unsalted butter is preferred, but if salted is all you have on hand, simply halve the additional salt. Use 1 tablespoon each fresh parsley and basil OR use 1 teaspoon dried parsley and basil. I love using fresh herbs when possible, but the dried herbs will still add an amazing flavor.
- Pizza Sauce – store-bought or homemade pizza sauce are fine! I personally use store-bought to keep this dinner really quick and easy. Use whatever your favorite brand is.
- Cheese – shredded mozzarella or your favorite Italian cheese blend will both work well in this recipe. Typically I recommend shredding your own cheese for the best flavor and texture, but I love using pre-shredded cheese to again, keep this dinner really quick and easy.
- Toppings of Choice – whatever you love on a pizza will work! We kept it simple and just used pepperoni. See variations for more topping suggestions!
How to make
- Stir together melted butter, parmesan, parsley, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper until combined. Set aside.
French Bread Pizza
- Place bread side by side on a silicone mat lined baking sheet, spread butter sauce evenly over each piece then bake at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings, then bake again until the cheese has melted.
- Cool slightly, slice, and enjoy!
How do you keep french bread pizza from getting soggy?
If made as directed, this french bread pizza is anything but soggy!
- Use the correct bread. Be sure you’re using a loaf that’s not too soft or it’ll soak up too much moisture. Something soft like brioche won’t hold up well in this recipe. French bread is the best bread for pizzas like this.
- Pre-bake. After adding the butter sauce, be sure to bake for 5 minutes before adding the pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings. This allows the top to get such a touch crispy, which helps it from absorbing too much of the sauce.
- Remove moisture from toppings. If using something that releases a lot of moisture, be sure to either sauté them slightly (mushrooms) or dry them (pineapple) before adding them to the pizzas.
- Breads: French bread is going to be your best option, but if you’re in a pinch try a baguette.
- Sauces: pizza sauce is obviously classic, but if you’re looking to mix it up, try BBQ sauce, buffalo sauce, honey mustard, chipotle ranch, alfredo sauce, pesto, fig jam, etc.
- Cheese: you can’t go wrong! Mozzarella is mild and melty, but if you’re looking for something different try pepper-jack, gouda, gruyere, brie, goat cheese, blue cheese, cheddar, fontina, provolone, etc.
- Toppings: pepperoni, sausage, ham, bacon, chicken, onion (raw or caramelized), bell peppers, mushrooms, jalapenos, pineapple, olives, etc. Be sure any meat you’re using is fully cooked before baking. Veggies can be kept raw or cooked; it depends on your preference and what vegetables are being used.
- Garnishes: hot honey, balsamic glaze, chili flakes, extra parmesan, arugula, etc.
What to serve with french bread pizza
- Pear, Blue Cheese, Candied Pecan Salad
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Jalapeno Poppers
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
How to store
Completely cooled leftovers will last in a sealed airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To enjoy again, bake at 350 degrees F until the cheese has melted. Be sure to cover in foil that’s been sprayed with cooking spray if the cheese is getting too brown.
How to freeze
- Make the french bread pizza as directed, but instead of baking, place in the freezer until frozen, about 8 hours or overnight.
- Place frozen pizzas into freezer safe containers (gallon sized ziplock baggies are great) for up to 3 months.
- Cook as directed, adding additional time, as needed.
French Bread Pizza
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon finely grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon finely diced parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon finely diced basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
French Bread Pizza
- 1 (16 oz) loaf French bread quartered (cut in half down the middle, then sliced in half lengthwise)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 (8 oz) bag shredded Italian blend cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- Toppings of choice *
- In a small bowl, stir together melted butter, parmesan, parsley, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper until combined. Set aside.
French Bread Pizza
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- Place the 4 slices of bread side by side on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spread 2 tablespoons butter sauce evenly over each piece of bread then bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spread pizza sauce on the top (you’ll need 1/4 cup per piece), then top with cheeses (you’ll need 1/2 cup shredded cheese and 1/2 tablespoon parmesan per piece) and toppings of choice.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the pizzas are hot.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then slice and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.