This Edible Cookie Dough Recipe is safe to eat raw! There’s no flour, we use ground oats instead, & has no eggs! Edible cookie dough for the win!
This is one of our most popular recipes (originally posted October 7, 2015), so I’ve updated it to include a how-to video! Enjoy!
Edible Cookie Dough Recipe comin’ at ya!
This is everything I’ve ever dreamed of and I know you have a lot of questions…
Can you eat raw cookie dough?
Most store-bought brands? Nope!
So what’s a girl to do?
I wanted a cookie dough that I could safely eat, without worrying about getting sick. Although, if I’m being really honest, I’ll probably still eat the unsafe cookie dough. 😉
Is it safe to eat raw flour?
No! It’s unsafe to eat raw flour due to harmful bacteria.
Somebody out there is trying to ruin my life.
Why can’t a girl just eat some raw cookie dough without worrying about getting sick?!
Well ladies (and gentlemen), I have found the solution.
Not only is this an eggless Edible Cookie Dough Recipe, it’s also flourless!
I was super bummed when I found out that it was unsafe to eat raw flour.
Now, while I don’t really care…I’ll risk it 😉 , I figure there are people out there who would enjoy a recipe for cookie dough that’s completely safe to eat.
I was at a complete loss.
How to make edible cookie dough without flour?
I realized that you can turn oatmeal into flour, by simply pulsing it into a fine flour with a food processor.
I did a ton of research and haven’t found anything that says you can’t eat raw oatmeal.
If someone out there claims you can’t…please don’t tell me. 😉
Basically, I replaced the “unsafe flour” with homemade oat flour. #winning
I based this edible cookie dough recipe off of my chewy chocolate chip cookies.
What are the ingredients in edible cookie dough?
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Homemade oat flour
- Chocolate chips
The taste of this cookie dough is spot on. It tastes like really good cookie dough. Sugar-y, buttery, vanilla-y, chocolate-y. ‘Nough said.
The texture of this cookie dough is ahhhh-mazing, if I do say so myself.
I’ll be honest, it’s not going to be as smooth as a normal cookie dough. There’s a bit of “grittiness” – in a really good way – to the dough.
This comes from the sugars and the oat flour.
It’s definitely a heartier, but I actually really enjoy it. There’s something completely satisfying about it.
How to make edible cookie dough?
- Cream together:
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- a little milk
- Once fluffy, beat in:
- homemade oat flour (measure out old fashioned oats and pulsed them in a food processor)
- Once that’s combined, stir in chocolate chips
- Use whatever you have on hand. I always have semi-sweet, but feel free to mix it up and use dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or go crazy and use a combination of both!
- And now? The best part…we’re done!
This edible cookie dough recipe will surely satisfy any cookie dough craving and is great for those days you don’t want to be a rebel and eat cookie dough safely. 😉
Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature (1/2 cup = 1 stick)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup homemade oat flour directions below (you'll need about 2 cups old fashioned oats)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups chocolate chips
- Cream together softened butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and milk until fluffy, about 60 seconds.
- Beat in oat flour and salt.
- Once combined, stir in chocolate chips.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge, covered, for later!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.