This Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup is easy, healthy, full of tender vegetables, seasoned with rosemary and thyme, and made creamy with non fat plain greek yogurt!
Yeah. Fat chance.
When I’m sick, I always crave really wholesome, hearty, stick-to-your-ribs, comfy, cozy kinda dishes and since I am a GIGANTIC baby when I’m sick, it’s also gotta be something easy.
So last Tuesday, I made a batch of One Pot Mac & Cheese with a side of this Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup.
My day went a little like this:
throw together chicken and wild rice soup –> nap 💤 –> snack –> nap 💤 –> dinner –> bed 💤.
The next day I was feeling better and I owe it all to this Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup… and maybe that cold medicine I took.
Whether you have a cold or not, I’m guessing most of you like dinners that are
2. Ready when you get home from work 🙌
Well, this crockpot chicken wild rice soup definitely fits the bill.
Prep your veggies the morning of (or heck, prep them the night before and store them in the fridge in an airtight container) –> we’re using onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic. Then literally throw everything (the veggies, chicken, wild rice, chicken broth, a teeeeeny bit of butter, and spices) into your crockpot and walk away.
When you get home from work, your house will smell like Thanksgiving – seriously, I couldn’t breathe out of my nose and I could somehow still smell the amazing aroma of this soup – and dinner will be just about done!
I should also mention that this crockpot chicken wild rice soup is totally healthy! Did you know that wild rice is technically a grass? Say whaaaaaat? It’s also high in protein and fiber. 💪Combined with lean chicken breasts, and a whole lotta veggies; this is a well rounded, really healthy meal!
Oh! I almost forgot, but helllooooo, you can’t have chicken and wild rice soup without it being creamy.
Well. Today, I’ve nixed the heavy cream and instead I’m using a combination of non fat plain greek yogurt, skim milk, and just a teeny, tiny touch of flour. (All you need to do is whisk this in in the last 20 minutes of cook time.) You know what? I don’t even miss the heavy cream, because this crockpot chicken wild rice soup is so delicious without it!
This soup will warm you from the inside out. It’s humble, filling, healthy, and is just one of those feel good dishes. You know? You feel happy eating it and still feel happy after, because it doesn’t weigh you down and feeling stuffed.
My favorite part, however, of this crockpot chicken wild rice soup is the seasoning. Dried rosemary and thyme play a huge part in the flavor of this soup and I am just absolutely in love with it. It tastes cozy…and like fall. 🍂
This soup is loaded with tender veggies and wild rice, lean protein, lots of herbs, and just a touch of milk and non fat plain greek yogurt to keep this healthy, yet ultra creamy and cozy.
Keep cozy! 🙂
Who else is loving crockpot soups right now?! Be sure to check out these other yummy slow cooker soup recipes:
Show me the yummy!
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 pound boneless skinless raw chicken breasts
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 cup chopped celery about small 3 stalks
- 1 cup Sliced carrots about 2 carrots
- 1 (8 oz) package sliced mushrooms about 2 cups
- 4 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon dried thyme depending on how strong you like the flavor
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon dried rosemary depending on how strong you like the flavor
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup non fat plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (OR an all purpose gluten free flour if you're GF)
- Spray crockpot with non stick cooking spray.
- Place the uncooked wild rice, raw chicken, onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, butter, chicken broth, and seasonings in crockpot. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours.
- In the last 30 minutes of cook time, remove chicken from crockpot and shred with a fork.
- Place shredded chicken back in crockpot.
- Whisk together milk, greek yogurt and flour in a small bowl.
- Slowly add in milk/yogurt/flour mixture.
- Stir until well combined.
- Place cover back on slow cooker and cook for an additional 20 minutes.