This is the best puppy chow recipe! Why? More chocolate, more peanut butter, more powdered sugar! This childhood classic aka muddy buddies just got better. 🙂
What is another name for puppy chow?
Because it’s been a debate for so long, here are all the other names for puppy chow I’ve gathered. If YOUR name isn’t on the list, let me know in the comments below and I’ll include it in my list!
- Muddy buddies
- Monkey munch
- Muddy munch
- Reindeer chow
For me, it’s puppy chow, but . . .
Why do they call it puppy chow?
Apparently, because it looks like dog food, ha! If anyone else knows another reason, let me know in the comments below! 😉
Whatever the name, THIS is the best. Promise. 🙂
Now, I know you probably just rolled your eyes, because who doesn’t know how to make puppy chow?! Everyone’s eaten it, everyone’s made it at least once in their life, and everyone loves it. Here’s the thing, though. Most people don’t make it right!
In my recipe, the ingredients are the same: chex cereal, peanut butter, chocolate chips, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar, but what makes my puppy chow even better is the ratio!
Nobody EVER uses enough chocolate and peanut butter and definitely not enough powdered sugar.
Today, let’s fix the problem, and make the best darn puppy chow recipe anyone has ever tasted!
It’s my mom fault that I’m such a puppy chow snob. We both have a major, major, MAJOR sweet tooth.
Growing up, my mom would make puppy chow for an afternoon snack, or if we were vacationing with my cousins in Minnesota at the lake, or for when friends came over. Long story short, my mom made it a lot and you know, moms always make it best.
At school bake sales, puppy chow was always a hot commodity. I’d quickly snag my bag, take a bite, and be severely disappointed when I realized that “this is not how MY mom makes it”!
You could see the “grates” of the chex cereal, instead of it being completely encased in chocolate and peanut butter, there were no chunks (you know, the best part, when you find a multi-chex cluster stuck together by loads of peanut butter chocolate), AND you could see the thin layer of chocolate on the cereal instead of everything being covered in snowy white powdered sugar.
Well, welcome to the big leagues!
How do you make puppy chow or muddy buddies?
Place a WHOLE box of chex cereal into a large bowl. Most recipes only call for 9 cups and it drives me crazy! So, today, we’re using the whole box. 🙂 Set aside.
If you don’t have a large bowl, you could also use a clean garbage bag. Anyone with me?! 😉 Although, apparently you’re not supposed to do that anymore, because I guess clean garbage bags aren’t made out of food grade plastic (or something like that). Somehow I survived. 😉 I guess things were different in the 90s. Ha!
Then place chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter into a large microwave safe bowl or measuring cup.
Melt until smooth, then stir in vanilla extract.
Pour chocolate mixture over the cereal and gently stir together.
Pro tip: don’t over mix, because chunks are life. The cereal pieces should be completely coated in chocolate, but it’s ok for a few to clump together 😉
Then load on the sugar! More is more in this case. I think this puppy chow is best when everything is completely white and coated in sugar!
With these tips and tricks…
- Use the whole box of cereal
- An updated ratio of peanut butter and chocolate
- Don’t overmix
- Use more powdered sugar than you think necessary!
You’ve just made the best puppy chow recipe ever!
You all know what it tastes like, it’s sweet, peanut buttery, extra chocolatey, and slightly crunchy, so you know you can’t put it down!
The best time to eat it is right away, because the chocolate is still warm. Mmmm 🙂 , but it’s good any time, any where!
Oh! One more tip, don’t wear dark clothing while making or eating puppy chow, because if you’re anything like me, you wipe your hands on your pants instead of a napkin and walk around all day looking like Casper the friendly ghost gave you a pat down 😉
Puppy chow or muddy buddies? Show Me the Yummy!
PS – This is the number one question I get . . .
How much puppy chow should I feed my dog?
None. Because this is for humans only, please and thank you. 🙂 PSST – if you’re looking for a real dog treat, check out my homemade dog treat recipe!
Best Puppy Chow Recipe
- 1 (12 oz) box rice chex cereal could also use corn
- 1 (12 oz) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips could also use dark choco, milk choco, etc.
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (2 lb) bag powdered sugar or less to taste - I honestly just eye ball it
- Place cereal into a large bowl. You can even use a clean garage bag* if you don't have a large enough bowl. Set aside.
- Place chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 60 seconds and then stir until smooth. If the chocolate chips haven't melted enough, microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the mixture is completely melted.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the chex cereal and stir together gently with a spatula. If using a garbage bag, shake gently, until all the chex pieces are completely covered in chocolate.
- DO NOT OVER MIX. The chunks are the best part! The cereal pieces should be completely coated in chocolate, but it's ok for a few to clump together.
- Pour the powdered sugar over the mixture. Use as much or as little as you like, but I think this is best when no chocolate shows through.
- Gently stir to combine. Again, don't over mix.
- Store in an airtight container!
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.