This Crockpot Orange Chicken is better than take out! It tastes better, is so much healthier, and is ridiculously easy to make. Orange chicken for the win!
As with most of my recipes, this one started out with craving.
A craving, for orange chicken. Orange-y, spicy chicken with a steaming side of perfectly cooked white rice? Swoon.
As much as I wanted to just order take-out, with Thanksgiving coming up, I figured I should probably skip the take-out, and try to recreate something healthier at home.
Thank you, Crockpot Orange Chicken, for curbing my craving without the guilt.
Funnily enough, I typically don’t like orange chicken. Trevor, with his very refined palate, gets these cravings for orange chicken from Panda Express. 😉
But for whatever reason, I was the one craving orange chicken the other day, and I knew Trevor would totally be on board.
When I get a craving for something, I get kiiiind of o.b.s.e.s.s.e.d, so if I’m going to make it at home, it’s gotta be easy. Luckily, this chicken only needs 5 hours to cook (vs 8 hours in some crockpot chicken recipes) and it literally look me less than 5 minutes to whip up.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Grease your crockpot. <– as usual, I’m obsessed.
2. Whip together the yummiest orange sauce. Ever. Broth, orange juice, sugar, honey, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, zest, and some spices. Simple. Perfection.
3. Throw sauce and chicken into crockpot and cook on LOW for 4 hours. During that 4 hours, you could do something productive like clean up your kitchen, OR, do something even better and watch four episodes of the latest Fixer Upper and leave the dirty kitchen for later (it’s not going anywhere).
4. After the 4 hours, you’ll pretty much just want to dive into that crockpot orange chicken, but we gotta stir in some cornstarch first, and let it cook for another hour on HIGH.
5. Serve with rice and stuff.your.face.
This crockpot orange chicken is c.r.a.z.y. good, you guys. The sauce is perfectly orange-y and you can make it as spicy as you like!
Now. Here’s the deal. When I first had Trevor taste-test, his immediate reaction was YUM. Buuuuut, he wanted the sauce to be thicker.
Trevor was expecting that really thick, sticky, sauce that coats breaded chicken.
Well. This isn’t the recipe for that.
THIS crockpot orange chicken has those same amazing orange chicken flavors you love, but without all the guilt! Plus, it’s super saucy and when you serve it over rice, the rice soaks up all those crazy flavors. And basically, it’s just amazing.
Later that night, I served this crockpot orange chicken up with some steamed rice and Trevor did a complete 180.
All I heard for the rest of the night was “Seriously, babe. This is goooood.”
Craving curbed. Happy husband.
Now let’s just see if we can keep him away from Panda Express. 😉
What are some of your favorite take-out/delivery foods? I’d love to recreate them! Show me the yummy!
Some of my other take-out/delivery creations:* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping SMTY up and running!